top of page

General Borrower Assistance

After reading this information, do you feel that you may need additional help to address your student loan concerns?


The National Consumer Law Center keeps up-to-date legal resources on their referral page. To find an attorney working on student debt issues operating in your state, visit:


Has your student loan servicer been unhelpful in addressing your situation?


  • File a complaint with the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman within the U.S. Department of Education (ED) who can help resolve disputes and issues with your federal student loans. These complaints can also help ED identify widespread issues and hold servicers accountable.

  • File a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). These complaints are really helpful for shaping policy in the future, so your complaint could help other borrowers in similar situations.

  • Some states have ombudsmen working to help student loan borrowers in their respective states. Check out our state Ombuds list


Do you think you have been approached by a student loan scammer?


  • Check out the CFPB for tips on spotting student loan scams.

  • If you think you have been solicited by a scammer, you can submit a complaint to any of the resources listed above. In addition, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and your state attorney general. 

  • If you’ve paid money to what you believe to be a scam, you could report possible fraud and put a freeze on your credit in addition to reporting the fraudulent activity to your bank and requesting that they stop payment. You could also report the fraud to your student loan servicer and change the password on your account. 


You can also visit NCLC’s referral page to find legal assistance in your community.

bottom of page